Re: Local install of swish-e-2.4.1 on Linux

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 23:35:20 GMT
> >    2. and something very odd: I compiled on Knoppix, tar and gzipped it.
> > When I untarred the archive on Windows and moved it to Debian, swish-e
> > did not work (error file: /tmp/swish/lib/libxml2.so.2 too short), when I
> > extracted the archive in Debian, it worked! You probably knows why, I don't.

Were you using Winzip or FTP?

> if you "untarred on Windows and moved it to Debian" my suspicion is
> line-endings or text/binary confusion in 'moving' it.

Probably.  For example, Winzip will translate line endings within every
file in a tar, including binaries.  There are some advanced options in
Winzip to disable tar file conversion.  And many FTP clients will mangle
the files by sending in text mode instead of binary.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/