Re: XML export capability

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 13:40:45 GMT
On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 04:43 -0800, Peter Karman wrote:
> swish-e cannot export an index in XML format. There are several dump
> formats, useful for debugging, etc, but those are not XML (though I
> guess it wouldn't be too hard to write some kind of perl filter).

jsFind patches SWISH-E to dump (-T INDEX_XML) an existing binary index
to a XML (like) format.  Then a Javascript loads the XML and uses it as
the index.  Linux Journal uses it to index their back-issue CDs, for
example.  That way any DOM-based browser has search functionality
without needing binary browser extensions.  Seems like a nice way to do
things.

The Linux Journal article describing it uses a couple of Perl scripts to
strip extra information from the resulting index I presume in case you
manually generate the XML index.  The filtering and word occurrence
could've been done by specifying better rules in the SWISH-E config.  So
really all one would need is a patched SWISH-E and the Javascript.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/