Re: API make errors

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 17:30:50 GMT
On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 11:14:58AM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
> if SWISHBIN were used to determine the include and lib paths as well
> (assuming that 'make install' but them in directories relative to bin/
> ), we wouldn't need a swish-config, yes?

But you can't assume that.  There's options to configure to change the
location of where things get installed.  That's why -config programs
sometimes exist -- as they *can* know where things get installed.

$ xml2-config --help
Usage: xml2-config [OPTION]

Known values for OPTION are:

  --prefix=DIR          change libxml prefix [default /usr]
  --exec-prefix=DIR     change libxml exec prefix [default /usr]
  --libs                print library linking information
  --libtool-libs        print linking information for use with libtool
  --cflags              print pre-processor and compiler flags
  --help                display this help and exit
  --version             output version information

$ xml2-config --cflags
-I/usr/include/libxml2

$ xml2-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -lm