Re: Local install of swish-e-2.4.1 on Linux

From: tom lewton <tomlewton1(at)not-real.hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 08:25:05 GMT
>You should be able to just supply a --prefix and it should all work
>-- don't need to link statically.  Using a --prefix should pass -R to
>the linker and store the library path in the binary.

sorry, i've misunderstood my problem. i want to install swish-e on my web
server to be able to use it in cgi scripts. but i'm not able to compile
programs on the server, so i have to compile it on my workstation (which has
an almost identical setup to the server ) then try to upload the binaries.
hence the problem with the linker putting absolute paths to the shared
libraries, because the directory structure on the server is obviously quite
different to that here.

i know this isn't a problem specific to swish-e, but i'm having a hard time
finding an appropriate google search that doesn't just turn up thousands of
peoples dumps of the output from ./configure for various programs...

tom

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger