Re: Memory issues even with -e

From: Bill Schell <friedfish(at)not-real.optonline.net>
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 21:34:33 GMT
If you're at the unix process size limit (typically 2Gb), you may
have to start writing some code.  One way to do it is to have a program
that traverses your file system, finds the files you want based on some
criteria (like newness), and hands them to swish in smaller batches (via
the 'prog'
input mode).  Swish would then create an index of just those files. Then
your
program would use swish to merge that index into your main index.

Of course, swish 2.4 limits a single index file to 2Gb in size, so if
you really want
to index a lot of data, you'll have to go to multiple indexes, which
swish is
perfectly happy to search.

The Perl 'Find' module is especially handy for this sort of thing.

If you're not at the unix process size limit, add some more swap space to
your machine to get more virtual memory.

Another option is to run a 64-bit processor/OS to get *lots* more
virtual memory.

Bill