(no subject)

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)not-real.cray.com>
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 14:15:20 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote on 9/15/04 8:48 AM:

> I'm not sure I always agree, but you might search on google:
>
>    LD_LIBRARY_PATH considered harmful
>

> Let me ask the users of Solaris here:  This is the third time this has
> come up this month.  Why is it that gcc is installed and in the path,
> yet the libraries are installed in /usr/local/lib and the system
> library search path doesn't include /usr/local/lib?  Is this something
> done by Sun?  Or is it the case of system admins not setting things up
> correctly?

My guess is sysadmins. My experience is that Sun doesn't provide gcc out
of the box.

My experience with gcc on Solaris is that I must explicitly declare all
the lib paths at ./configure time, regardless of how "obvious" the
locations are, and even sometimes with LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or LD_RUN_PATH,
at compile time) set 'correctly'.

I'm working this a.m. on that buildswishe script, that tries to account
for all these paths automatically. I'll post it when I have a copy I'm
willing to show the world...

--
Peter Karman  651-605-9009  karman@cray.com