escaping quotes and paren's in swish query

From: Tac <tac(at)not-real.smokescreen.org>
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 11:22:16 GMT
If I want to search for the phrase with a double-quote in it (e.g. 17" flat
screen), how do I escape the string in swish-e?  I'm getting the error:
Syntax error in query (missing end quote or unbalanced parenthesis?)

I know they don't have any effect on the search itself, so I could just
strip out the paren's, quotes, and double-quotes, is this the recommended
way to use swish-e?

Thx,

Tac

to a plain text message.