Re: Indexing University Site

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 17:26:02 GMT
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:15:32AM -0700, David Nickel wrote:
> We are trying to set up swish-e to index our universities web server. I am
> having trouble creating a config file that indexes all of our sites.
> We have a main page and underneath we have pages for official departments.
> example: www.example.edu
>                www.example.edu/dept1
>                www.example.edu/dept2
> Should the IndexDir be set to www.example.edu or /path/to/web/root?

Depends.  If your site is simple and is all static and you have a
simple document root structure (no aliases in the web server) they you
can index via the file system.

If you want to index just the documents that can be found via links
from your home page (or a list of specific pages) or if you have
dynamic content that you want indexed then spidering is probably
the way to go.  But it all depends on how you have your web site setup
and is not something we can answer.

BTW -- If part of the documentation is unclear please make a note about
that and post it back to the list.