Re: Probably dumb newbie question.

From: Nic Gibson <nicg(at)not-real.noslogan.org>
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 14:09:37 GMT
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 07:02:54AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 06:58:01AM +0100, Nic Gibson wrote:
> >
> > The 'Some Text Here' is being indexed. I think this is almost certainly
> > normal.
> >
> > This leads to another question. Is there is a simple way to stop
> > SWISH-E indexing this content as it makes the results a little
> > weird.  As an example, browsing to
> > http://pmr.corbas.co.uk/dynamic/search and entering 'Magnus' as the
> > search string in the dialog will bring back the appropriate article
> > plus every page that links to it.
>
> As mpeters suggested, "IgnoreMetaTags a" will work.  But it's the
> wrong thing to do, IMO.  I think people want to be able to search for
> any text on the page.  If "Magnus" happens to be on all those pages
> because it's on that side menu then the correct thing is probably to
> wrap non-content parts (like a side menu) in <!-- noindex ---> ...
> <!-- index --> sections.

I would actually agree with you on the search results. However, the
client doesn't!. I think the <!-- noindex --> ... approach is probably
the way for me to go as the entire site is dynamically generated.
And... I really should have thought of it.

> The other common technique is to supply a snippet of text along with
> your search results so people can see the context of the search word
> found in each result.

Yes - this will be happening sometime over the next few days - the
site is still very much under development.

Thanks again for your help.

This is the second project I've used swish-e on. This time I might
even be able to get the client to allow a reference to that fact.
The other project was entirely dynamic in such a way as to not required
spidering at all so this is my first experience with spidering with
swish-e. I'm very pleased with the ease with which I've been able to
get it going.

cheers

nic gibson
--
when she smiles my way, my eyes go out in vain