Re: Probably dumb newbie question.

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 14:04:11 GMT
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 06:58:01AM +0100, Nic Gibson wrote:

> The 'Some Text Here' is being indexed. I think this is almost certainly
> normal.
>
> This leads to another question. Is there is a simple way to stop
> SWISH-E indexing this content as it makes the results a little
> weird.  As an example, browsing to
> http://pmr.corbas.co.uk/dynamic/search and entering 'Magnus' as the
> search string in the dialog will bring back the appropriate article
> plus every page that links to it.

As mpeters suggested, "IgnoreMetaTags a" will work.  But it's the
wrong thing to do, IMO.  I think people want to be able to search for
any text on the page.  If "Magnus" happens to be on all those pages
because it's on that side menu then the correct thing is probably to
wrap non-content parts (like a side menu) in <!-- noindex ---> ...
<!-- index --> sections.

The other common technique is to supply a snippet of text along with
your search results so people can see the context of the search word
found in each result.