Re: free text searching

From: Eric Lease Morgan <emorgan(at)not-real.nd.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 11:45:23 GMT
Peter Karman wrote:

> MetaNameAlias swishdefault record
>
>> Now, is there a way to search a swish index for the word oranges
>> *without* telling the search engine to look in the title field? In
>> other words, I want to do something like this and retrieve my record:
>>
>>    swish-e -w oranges
>>
>> Is this possible? Is there something I can do to make this possible,
>> or must I do this:
>>
>>    swish-e -w title=oranges

Thanks to Peter Karman I was able to resolve my problem.

Yes, by adding MetaNameAlias swishdefault <root element> to my swish
indexing configuration file I am able to provide field searches as well
as free text searches against my indexes.

This works very well, and I have applied it to an index of about 400K
XML files containing about 1,000,000 words. See:

   http://dewey.library.nd.edu/morgan/ockham-alert/cgi-bin/search.cgi

I guess I can have my cake and eat it too.  :-)

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame