Re: limiting search results by path using SWISH::API

From: mpeters <mpeters(at)not-real.plusthree.com>
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 18:31:20 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:22:57AM -0700, mpeters wrote:
>
>>The site is setup so that protected documents are in a /protected
>>dir in the document root. Is there a way to tell swish-e to not
>>index these documents?
>

> Sure.  Depends on the method you are using to index them.  FileRules
> is one option, or use robots.txt, or use .htaccess, or exclude them in
> a test_url() function in spider.pl, or don't link to them if using the
> spider.

Thanks. I am using local files so FileRules was what I was looking for.

>>This would solve my first problem, but then I have another. If the
>>customer later decides that he want's these documents indexed but
>>only accessible to the right people, is there a way to tell the
>>$search->Execute() to not include documents based on their path? Or
>>do I have to accumulate all of the results and then eliminate the
>>ones I don't want using the 'swishdocpath' property?
>

> How about a separate index for the protected docs?

That's a good idea. Will do if I ever need it.

One more question that is along the same idea...

I have a category META tag in my documents that I want to be able to
filter my searches on as well. If I have the appropriate MetaNames
setup I understand that this would work from the command line...

    swish-e -w 'category=("my category") and this is "my search
phrase"'

does this translate into
   $search->Query('category=("my category") and this is "my search
phrase"')

as well.

Thanks
--