Re: Not sure I'm getting properties right.

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 18:05:38 GMT
On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 10:18:33AM -0700, Thomas R. Bruce wrote:
>              parents : id=10 type= 1  META_INDEX  Rank Bias=  0

> [tom@assembler etc]$ swish-e -w flag -p parents  -f
> ./indexes/uscode01.index
> err: Unknown Display property name "parents"

"parents" is a metaname, not a property.  You likely want:

    PropertyNames parents

Yes, it's all messed up.  Metanames is a way to place search words in
groups or categories or columns that can be searched separately.

So when you search

    -w subject=foo

you are saying to limit the search to just words inside the <subject>
(category|group|column|tag|metaname) or whatever you want to call it.
We call it metaname for historical reasons.

Properties are actually the real meta data associated with a file.  So
in search results you can display a result's properties such as file
name, size, etc.  You can also do things like sort and limit results
by properties.