Re: reversibility of MetaNameAlias

From: Jonas Wolf <JOWOLF(at)not-real.uk.ibm.com>
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 15:35:44 GMT
There is no problem with remembering the aliases, but the real reason I
want to use path instead of swishpath is that I want to use this name as a
value passed in the query string for sorting the results, and I'd rather
use the simple 'path' and so on instead of the swish-ed names.

Another reason I ask is that within the different indexes, these meta
names may be defined differently. For example, in one index I may have XML
data which contains a <description></description> tag which I would like
to use as my abstract for that index. So if our main config file would
contain

MetaNames path title author group abstract body

then in our subindex I would like to define

MetaNameAlias abstract description

to tell swish-e that I want to use the description tag as my abstract,
which does not work because it is the wrong way around, i.e. as
<abstract></abstract> is never encountered, no information is stored for
this meta name.

So currently I have to define all the meta names in every configuration
file, so in this example the subindex defines

MetaNames swishdocpath swishtitle author group description body
MetNameAlias description abstract

which is a bit annoying, I'd prefer to define the common elements once and
for all.

Thanks, Jonas.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:06:04AM -0700, Jonas Wolf wrote:
> which gives the desired result. However, this means when I define my
> MetaNameRanks, I have to use swishdocpath to assign the rank as it's the

> real metaname. I can not use my alias path to do this, which I would
like
> to do.

I'm not sure why there's that restriction.  I don't see any notes why
it's that way.  I assume I had a reason for making it that way,
thought.  I suppose so you can't try and set different values on
aliases that point to the same metaname.

> So my real question is this: Obviously MetaNameAlias only works one way,

> and not the other. Is this a feature or is there room for improvement?
Is
> there any other method to achieve what I would like to do?

You mean use be able to use an alias when setting MetaNamesRank?  Is
it a problem to remember that "path" is an alias for "swishdocpath"
and use that name when setting MetaNamesRank?