Re: search results linking to anchors

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 14:45:46 GMT
On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:38:37PM -0700, Steev Hise wrote:

> This may be a dumb question or maybe not, but I'm wondering how the
> functionality of the swish-e search of the documentation on swish-e's own
> site is accomplished ( http://swish-e.org/current/docs/searchdoc.html )
> --specifically, how does one get the search results
> to link to a specific location within a page (an anchor tag)?

In the source distribution is a directory called "html" which contains
the docs in HTML format, Makefile(\.am|\.in)? and some helper scripts.
There's a make target called "searchdoc" that indexes and creates the
search for the html docs.  Makefile.am is probably the best place to
see how it's done.  It runs a program called "split.pl" to split up
the html.  That's done with regular expressions which is much faster
than using HTML::Parser, but using regular expressions is possible
because the HTML is in a standard format.  You would likely want
HTML::Parser if you can't depend on the format of your HTML source
docs.