reversibility of MetaNameAlias

From: Jonas Wolf <JOWOLF(at)not-real.uk.ibm.com>
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 10:07:31 GMT
I have several indexes, and I want them all to share the meta names path,
title, author, group, abstract, and body. So I would like to have one
common index configuration file that defines this as

MetaNames path title author group abstract body

This means I could use these meta names throughout my indexes if I include
this main index file.

However, I really want to use path as an alias for swishdocpath rather
than as a separate metaname, so I would like to define

MetaNameAlias path swishdocpath

which unfortunately does not work as expected.

At the moment, I define

MetaNames swishdocpath swishtitle author group abstract body
MetaNameAlias swishdocpath path
MetaNameAlias swishtitle title

which gives the desired result. However, this means when I define my
MetaNameRanks, I have to use swishdocpath to assign the rank as it's the
real metaname. I can not use my alias path to do this, which I would like
to do.

So my real question is this: Obviously MetaNameAlias only works one way,
and not the other. Is this a feature or is there room for improvement? Is
there any other method to achieve what I would like to do?

Thanks, Jonas.