ANNOUNCE: "Indexing Arbitrary Data with SWISH-E" PDF Online

From: Josh Rabinowitz <joshr-swishe(at)not-real.joshr.com>
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 23:29:23 GMT
Hello Everyone:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've made my USENIX paper
"Indexing Arbitrary Data with SWISH-E" available on my website at
http://joshr.com/src/docs/IndexingWithSwishe-Rabinowitz.pdf

This is the same document published in the FREENIX Track of the 2004
USENIX Annual Technical Conference, and consists of 7 pages including
the tables, graph ov swish-e vs. mysql performance, and bibliography.
The paper also cover basic swish-e usage and some useful tips.

Following is the paper's abstract. Check the link above for the full
paper!  I look forward to hearing people's feedback.

Best,
   Josh Rabinowitz

  --- ABSTRACT FOLLOWS --
   Indexing Arbitrary Data with SWISH-E
   Josh Rabinowitz, SkateboardDirectory.com
   From The Proceedings Of The 2004 USENIX Technical Conference

Abstract : "Fast lookups are crucial to many computer applications
and operations. The general problem of indexing andsearching on
arbitrary data is not a simple one, with many semantic, linguistic,
and technical issues to iron out. In this paper we present swish-e, a
descendent of Kevin Hughes' SWISH project from 1994. Swish-e provides
a full featured and useful toolkit to index and query 8-bit ASCII
data. This paper discusses the structure, features, andusage of
swish-e, with mentions of possible directions for further development
and interesting related work. We also compare swish-e to MySQL's
full-text search feature in terms of features and speed, and discuss
two real-world swish-e applications, Sman and Swished."

The SWISHED server and SWISH::API::Remote client described in my last
email are a result of this paper. Again, this paper is available on
-- Josh Rabinowitz                           joshr-swishe@joshr.com --
-- SkateboardDirectory.com(tm)      http://SkateboardDirectory.com/ --
-- SkateTalk Chat Systems(tm)             http://www.skatetalk.com/ --