ANNOUNCE: swished: swish-e in daemon form

From: Josh Rabinowitz <joshr-swishe(at)not-real.joshr.com>
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 22:31:59 GMT
Hello Everyone:

At 6:13 AM -0700 7/27/04, Peter Karman wrote:
>The swish-e home page mentions this:
>'swished', a mod_perl-based concurrent and persistent swish-e server
>written by Josh and to be open sourced around the time of conference.
>Such a server has long been on the SWISH-E "to do" list.

Today I'm releasing the SWISHED server code and the matching
SWISH::API::Remote client library. Together, they allow remote access
to swish-e indices via TCP/IP.

The client SWISH::API::Remote can be found at
http://joshr.com/src/SWISH-API-Remote

Code for the server, SWISHED, can be found at http://joshr.com/src/SWISHED

This is definitely working code, and it's pretty well documented in
the source and perldoc files.

To get started, take a look at this:
    http://joshr.com/src/SWISH-API-Remote/SWISH-API-Remote-0.07/swishedsearch

Those who use the SWISH::API bundled with SWISH-E will notice a
similarity between SWISH::API and SWISH::API::Remote.

Below is an example of using SWISH::API::Remote to search on a swished server:

     #example: swishedclient.pl
     use SWISH::API::Remote;
     my $sw = SWISH::API::Remote->new( 'http://notaserverLLD.com/swished');
     my $w = "foo OR bar";
     my $results = $sw->Execute( $w );
     printf("Fetched %d of %d hits for search on '%s'\n",
         $results->Fetched(), $results->Hits(), $w);
     while ( my $r = $results->NextResult() ) {
         print join(" ", map { $r->Property($_) } ($r->Properties()) ) . "\n";
     }
     if ($results->Error()) {
         die $results->ErrorString();
     }

Other reading on this subject can be found at:
   http://joshr.com/src/swished/swished-0.07/README
and protocol currently used is described here:
   http://joshr.com/src/swished/swished-0.07/PROTOCOL
and in the doc referred to below.

Interested to hear what people think!

Best,
   Josh Rabinowitz

PS: I've also put the related paper from this year's USENIX Annual
Technical conference online at http://joshr.com/src/docs ; I'll be
sending out another email about that shortly.
-- Josh Rabinowitz                           joshr-swishe@joshr.com --
-- SkateboardDirectory.com(tm)      http://SkateboardDirectory.com/ --
-- SkateTalk Chat Systems(tm)             http://www.skatetalk.com/ --