Re: Incrmental indexing

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)>
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 12:04:59 GMT
If by "incremental" you mean creating an index where files newer than N
are indexed, see the -N option.

You can merge two or more indexes with the -M option.

What swish does NOT support, though it has often been asked for, is the
kind of "incremental" indexing where an existing index is modified
(updated with new files, non-existent files removed, etc.). You use the
-N (or other scheme of your choosing) and then the -M option to merge.

For example, you might create a weekly index of everything, then a daily
index of only files that have changed since the master index was last
updated. You could then merge the two indexes.

See the -N option for a better (more complete) example:

Timo Haberkern wrote on 7/27/04 3:47 AM:

> Hello,
> i read some messages in the archive of this list, that it is possible to
> index incrementally. But i didn't get the thing work...
> Can anybody tell me how i can configure my swish indexing to use the
> incremental mode???
> best regards
> Timo

Peter Karman - Software Publications Engineer - Cray Inc
phone: 651-605-9009 -