Re: wildcard bug in 2.4.2?

From: Kees Cook <kees(at)not-real.osdl.org>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 21:40:30 GMT
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:24:17PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> No.  The way the wild card index works is just like the index in the
> back of your text books -- arranged alphabetically.  Imagine someone
> asking you to look up in that index all words that end in "ing" --
> the words are not organized that way.

Well, by "brute force" I meant, I'd be happy to code up a hack just for
myself that would examine every word in the index and check their endings,
for example.  Roughly were in the code would I look for doing that kind of
thing?

Or, worst case, is there a way I can get swish-e to dump the list of all
words associated with a certain meta name?

> You are more patient than I.  Is 6 days acceptable?  That's not your
> average web site's worth of pages to search.

Well, it's mostly in the preprocessing.  :)  It's a one-time indexing for
this data, but it's the searching we'll be doing a lot of.

> without thinking about meta names (or structure or word position).
> Then once it finds that word it walks though a list of data saying
> what meta ID it's associated with and picks only the ones that match
> the meta you are asking to search.

Hm, I've worked around this by doing a*, b*, ... z* all OR'd together.  :)

--
Kees Cook
Open Source Development Lab