Re: What to do with Swish::Stemmer

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)not-real.cray.com>
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 20:00:48 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote on 7/20/04 1:25 PM:

> Here's why I'm posting now:  I like the idea of making SWISH::Stemmer
> a wrapper around SWISH::API, but I wonder if that's a performance
> issue loading the large SWISH::API vs. loading the small
> SWISH::Stemmer module.  Anyone know if that's an issue on modern
> operating systems?  That is, is the OS smart enough to only load
> what's needed from the shared library?

I like this idea too. Much easier to maintain/administer. It might be
enough just to document that the SWISH::Stemmer loads SWISH::API and
caveat emptor (is that a double pun since SWISH-E is free??). I think
the tradeoff between maintenance and performance goes to the maintenance
side.
--
Peter Karman - Software Publications Engineer - Cray Inc
phone: 651-605-9009 - mailto:karman@cray.com