Re: A few newbie-questions ...

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 06:21:43 GMT
On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 01:23:54AM -0700, Volker wrote:
> swish-e -T INDEX_STOPWORDS -f index.file
> never returns any result while swish-e -H 3 -f index.file shows up the
> stopwords too.
> Any idea why the first command does not work?

Looks like it's broken.

> And WHY is a list of stopwords stored in an index-file? For considering
> them when merging several index files?

To know what's a stopword.  If you search for a phrase or a list of
words and one is a stopword swish needs to know that it should be
ignored.

> d)
> When defining a stopword list by help of
> IgnoreWords File: ....
> and indexing files afterwards I never get any status message from
> swish-e that shows up how many stop words have been removed.
> But the words ARE removed!

Oh, because it says "no words removed"?  That's just for "IgnoreLimit"
if I remember correctly -- and reflects how many "automatic" stopwords
were created -- you already know that if using IgnoreWords,  Might be
fun to report on the actual number of words skipped due to stopwords.

I'd recommend against stop words, in general.