Re: A few newbie-questions ...

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 06:21:43 GMT
On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 01:23:54AM -0700, Volker wrote:
> swish-e -T INDEX_STOPWORDS -f index.file
> never returns any result while swish-e -H 3 -f index.file shows up the
> stopwords too.
> Any idea why the first command does not work?

Looks like it's broken.

> And WHY is a list of stopwords stored in an index-file? For considering
> them when merging several index files?

To know what's a stopword.  If you search for a phrase or a list of
words and one is a stopword swish needs to know that it should be

> d)
> When defining a stopword list by help of
> IgnoreWords File: ....
> and indexing files afterwards I never get any status message from
> swish-e that shows up how many stop words have been removed.
> But the words ARE removed!

Oh, because it says "no words removed"?  That's just for "IgnoreLimit"
if I remember correctly -- and reflects how many "automatic" stopwords
were created -- you already know that if using IgnoreWords,  Might be
fun to report on the actual number of words skipped due to stopwords.

I'd recommend against stop words, in general.

Help with Swish-e: