Re: A few newbie-questions ...

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 10:56:24 GMT
On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 01:24 -0700, Volker wrote:
> So I really wonder why "*" is not supported when parsing the -f values?
> One cannot define -f index.* in order to define - f index.1 index.2
> index.3 ....

Windows does not provide a POSIX compliant command shell.  SWISH-E
relies largely on the POSIX support of the operating system.  If you
were to run SWISH-E under a POSIX shell then * would be expanded as
expected.

I don't like relying on proprietary functions to work around broken
operating system features.  It may be possible and I may look into it.
But I don't think it would be entirely trivial to implement the feature
properly.

It is rather easy to perform the expansion outside of SWISH-E from the
web interface scripts.  For debugging you could run SWISH-E from a POSIX
shell such as MSYS (http://mingw.org/) or Microsoft SFU's Korn shell (on
NT/2000/XP/2003).

> Every day I have to index up to 1000 new files. That means that after 10
> days I have 10 new index files I will have to define with -f to make
> swish-e using them.
> A white pattern like "*" would make things much more easier.

For example, from PHP you can perform filename expansion using glob():
  http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.glob.php

  exec("swish-e -f ".implode(" ", glob("*.swish-e"))." -w ".$words,
        $results, $return );

> Can the -N help me to index  c e r t a i n  files and add them to a
> current index?
> The new data to add to a current index are retrieved from a mysql database.

-N selects files newer than your reference file.  For example, you could
index all files newer than your most recent index file.

> b)
> IndexDir c://php//php.exe
> IndexDir c:/php/php.exe
> nor anything else does work.

> IndexDir php
> does work.
>
> Any idea why the recommended settings do not work?

I do not know specifically why c:/php/php.exe might fail.  SWISH-E does
use the PATH variable to find helper executables.  It seems unusual that
it would walk PATH correctly but fail to explicitly find a filename.
However, the file name handling is complicated for Windows.  The
handling of drive letters and UNC paths is especially problematic.  I
will look into the problem.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/