Re: Swish-E Consultant Wanted

From: Ahmad, Zeeshan (FMC) <Zeeshan.Ahmad(at)not-real.fmc.sa.gov.au>
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 02:38:02 GMT
In NT4, Indexing Server had an ASP interface provided out of the box.

We switched over from the Index Server to Swish although this meant going
from real time indexing to batch mode. But Swish offers highlighting, pdf
indexing, http crawler and a better syntax (e.g. in Index Server you had to
search good,bad,ugly to find good bad and/or ugly - these commas alone cost
hundreds of mismatches). Furthermore, by extracting word lists from Swish
and hacking some Perl together with Aspell, we were able to provide spell
checking capabilities.

Other than the indexing server this Zoom engine might be worth
investigating: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/ - I haven't used it but it may
prove to be 49 bucks spent well.

End of the day, I think while you can get Swish running on Windows - if you
don't have support people in your organization - Perl and search
configuration can be a steep learning curve. We have 10 developers in our
shop so doesn't bother us much...

Zeeshan Ahmad
FMC Computing Services
Bedford Park SA