Re: Swish-E Consultant Wanted

From: Greg Ford <greg(at)not-real.reddfish.co.nz>
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 01:39:01 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
>>BTW -- doesn't IIS come with something called MS Index Server?

See the section of:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sppt/sharepoint/evaluate/featfu
nc/mssearch.mspx
that discusses the "Microsoft Indexing Service" previously known as "Index
Server".
It is described as "a Microsoft Windows 2000 base service for file systems
and Web servers".

If you are wanting to search a Microsoft Server for MS Office Documents
using IIS (and
using ASPs?), then you could do this using swish-e, but the MS way would
probably suit you better.
I quite liked the Index Server back when I was supporting Windows servers,
but I'm no longer
working in that area - these days I am concentrating on Linux based
applications.
You may be able to find a local ASP programmer who is capable of creating an
Indexing Service search page from the MS documentation without costing you
too much?

Otherwise, I would suggest you download a copy of Linux and run swish-e on
Linux...
There are lots of people on this list who would be able to help you with
that.

Greg Ford