Re: Swish-E Consultant Wanted

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 21:27:58 GMT
On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 02:02:02PM -0700, Gray M. Strickland wrote:
> We're aware of some commercial alternatives and for about a $Grand, we
> can buy something off the shelf which will meet our needs just fine. By
> posting this message on this forum, I am merely hoping to find a less
> expensive alternative. I know that Swish-E is free, but a consultant's
> time is not. Forgive me if I'm being na´ve to think that a consultant
> could set something up -- and remotely at that -- for less cost than
> just buying a commercial indexer.

Of course, it depends on what "something" is.  I could setup it up for
less -- but on Linux.  Heck that would save even more money -- what's
W2K Server now?  About $1000?  And there's this savings, too:

  http://www.us-cert.gov/current/current_activity.html

There's a few people on the list that use swish-e under Windows --
hopefully someone can offer help.

I'd also recommend looking at your needs carefully and see if swish-e
meets those.  If you have a HUGE number of docs that need to be
reindexed often then swish-e might not be the best solution.  Might find
that you need something that does incremental indexing.

BTW -- doesn't IIS come with something called MS Index Server?