Re:

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)not-real.cray.com>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 22:27:51 GMT
I do something similar, though because of how I am merging, I get shell
errors about too many open files. I wasn't clear from your post whether
you error was from swish or the shell. Anyway, to get around it, I group
them into bunches of 20, merge the 20, then merge all the 20index files
into a master. Kind of round about, but it works.

Bill Pavich wrote on 6/21/04 5:01 PM:

> Hello everyone. Having a merge problem here.
> Running swish-e 2.4.1 on a Solaris (sparc) 2.9 box. Everything is
> working fine, until now.=20
> I use swish-e to create an index of pdf files each night that were
> created that previous day. I store each day's index files in a folder on
> disk. I allow folks to search these daily indexes. But, I have been
> creating a merged "master" index of all of these daily indexes each
> night using the -M merge index feature. This allows folks to search the
> entire collection of daily indexes instead of just being limited to one
> particular day. Basically, it's a:
>
> Swish-e -M /opt/vnews-index/vnews??????.index
> /opt/vnews-index/vnews-master.index
>
> This has worked fine for the past couple of months, but I am now  up to
> 130 individual index files and when the merge process runs, I get the
> following error from swish-e
>
> err: Index file error: Could not open the index file
> '/opt/vnews-index/vnews061804.index': Too many open files
>
> Sounds like swish-e is running out of file handles? Does anyone have any
> ideas? I can't just keep recreating a master index each night, that
> would take increasingly too much time as days go by. Any ideas? Is there
> a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
>
> Thanks.

> Due to deletion of content types excluded from this list by policy,
> this multipart message was reduced to a single part, and from there
> to a plain text message.

Peter Karman - Software Publications Engineer - Cray Inc
phone: 651-605-9009 - mailto:karman@cray.com