Re: More info on swish.cgi problem on win2k

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 04:51:54 GMT
On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 08:27:50PM -0700, Peter Bisset wrote:

> Further to my previous post about getting a strange error running
> swish.cgi on win2k compared to xp, I now know that the error "The
> system cannot find the file specified." comes from the OS when it
> cannot find a file specified as the source in a redirection command
> "<".

Oh, well I should have read this messages first.

> This means that the options to -x are not being escaped properly by
> swish.cgi before hitting the OS.

I'm sorry it's not working correctly on Windows.  When swish-e runs the
command (under Windows) it tries to escape the command line.  Look in
swish.cgi and you will see:

    my @command = map { s/"/\\"/g; qq["$_"] }  $self->{prog}, $self->swish_command_array;

Which tries to escape the double quotes and then places all parameters within
double quotes.

Why that would work on WinXP and not Win2k is a question for some windows
support group[1].

You could try using SWISH::API instead of swish-e.exe which would avoid
the windows shell.  You would need SWISH::API installed (which I think
is installed by default) and then try the "use_library => 1" setting as
described in the swish.cgi docs.

[1] I spent last weekend setting up Windows XP and found that Glen
Morangie provided some relief.