Re: SWISH::Stemmer or ....

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 13:28:43 GMT
On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 08:30:19PM -0700, Greg Fenton wrote:
> Looking at the FAQ, it says:
>     The Swish-e stemming code is available either by using the Swish-e
>     Perl module or C library (included with the swish-e distribution),
>     or by using the SWISH::Stemmer module available on CPAN.
> So I wonder, should I be using SWISH::Stemmer or, what is meant by
> "using the Swish-e Perl module" ?

I guess that "Long answer" isn't long enough.  It means the SWISH::API
module -- as the SWISH::API (and thus the C library) have functions to
call into the swish-e stemming code.

Before the C interface and SWISH::API existed I pulled the stemming code
out of swish and created SWISH::Stemmer as a stand-alone module.   And
when the highlighting code was first written that's all there was

Another problem is that the highlighting code currently doesn't have any
way to know if SWISH::API is being used, or if the swish-e binary is
being used.  The highlighting module could use some updating.

Another problem is that the there's more than just one stemmer in swish
now, and SWISH::Stemmer is just the old Porter code.

Bill Moseley