SWISH::Stemmer or ....

From: Greg Fenton <greg_fenton(at)>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 03:31:56 GMT
I promise I'll get this working error free and then I'll go away  :-)

We've been using SWISH-E 2.2.2 since it was released (Nov 2002).

We are now (finally!) using 2.4.2, SWISH::API and mod_perl on our
production system.  I also enabled stemming in our indexing.

I just noticed that when the server is restarted I get the following in
my error_log:

   Stemmed index needs to highlight: Can't locate
SWISH/ in @INC (...)

Looking at the code of SWISH::PhraseHighlight, it's obvious that this
is somewhat expected:

    if ( $self->header('stemming applied') =~ /^(?:1|yes)$/i ) {
        eval { require SWISH::Stemmer };
        if ( $@ ) {
            warn('Stemmed index needs to highlight: ' . $@);
        } else {
            $self->{stemmer_function} = \&SWISH::Stemmer::SwishStem;

Looking at the FAQ, it says:

    The Swish-e stemming code is available either by using the Swish-e
    Perl module or C library (included with the swish-e distribution),
    or by using the SWISH::Stemmer module available on CPAN.

So I wonder, should I be using SWISH::Stemmer or, what is meant by
"using the Swish-e Perl module" ?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Fenton

Do you Yahoo!?