Re: search.cgi updates

From: Greg Fenton <greg_fenton(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 18:54:20 GMT
--- Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:

> something with fewer features but better for customizing

And it is just that.

> 1) Should I pull out the template from the __DATA__ section and place
> the template in a separate file

Put it into a single file and point people to http://tt2.org if they
need more help with look-n-feel.

> 2) The script doesn't include many features

I wonder about this too.

Thing is, we decided to get away from swish.cgi because it is a big
script with a non-trivial inner workings.  We needed to add some more
complicated customized configuration and swish.cgi was just getting to
hard to work within.

One idea might be to have a code repository where people can post their
own SWISH::API-based scripts (and PHP based or whatever), say on a
Wiki.  I might want highlighting, but not ranking.  Or I might want
customized highlighting, or whatever.  The Wiki or FAQ would be a bunch
of "How To Add XXXX To My CGI".

I know that lots of users are coders, but this would take pressure off
the development group (hi Bill!) in maintaining code that is on the
fringe of the core product.

> 3) swish.cgi has two example templates [...]
> So, see any reason why search.tt shouldn't be renamed to swish.tt?

A ChangeLog is a useful sort of thing.  If you are upgrading, you
should read it.  If you don't read it, stuff may be broke...

I say rename it.

Bill, as always, thanks for allow us our input!
greg_fenton.

=====
Greg Fenton
greg_fenton@yahoo.com