Re: further installation troubles

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 23:31:10 GMT
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 03:36:06PM -0700, Bernard E. Wood wrote:
> So what's up with the unaligned accesses?

Oh we had that before.  It's, well, unaligned access.  We are accessing
words on non-word boundries -- or some such thing.  Swish does a bit of
work packing data into odd offsets to save index space .The machine catches
it and fixes the access, but that's a small hit on speed.

Google has lots.  I liked this one because of the title -- kind of
matched your comment:

 What's up with those "unaligned access" messages? - Linux on Itanium

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSingleTipDetailPage_IDX/1,2366,161,00.html

I wonder how we find those.

Don't you have any regular old machines there at lanl? ;)