Re: Science Quotations

From: Thomas Dowling <tdowling(at)not-real.ohiolink.edu>
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 21:42:45 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:

>On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 02:18:00PM -0700, Carl Gaither wrote:
>

>>Hello to the list again,
>>
>>I can, with relative ease, provide the following format.
>>I hymn the lowly enema,
>></quote><reference>The Medical Muse
>></record>
>>

>That's fine, although you want it well-formed (use ending tags) and
>escape <br> inside the <quote> block.
>I'd just use a newline instead of <br> because <br> is
>html presentation and not really related to the data, but it's not big
>deal.
>
>The reason I was suggesting a simpler format than xml was to reduce the
>need to install additional Perl modules required for parsing the xml.

Most poetry markup I've seen uses a line element, which allows you to
maintain the structural sense of the text even if something occurs to
wrap lines. If you're using XML, you'll need to massage it on its way
out to the browser anyway, and a job worth doing is worth doing well (or
so my father also insisted). So...

..<quote>
<ln>I hymn the lowly enema,</ln>
<ln>Not half so bright or half so keen</ln>...

--
Thomas ("It All Started With Enema Jokes?") Dowling
tdowling@ohiolink.edu