Special Characters

From: Thomas Sewell <tsewell(at)not-real.chelseainteractive.com>
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 01:02:24 GMT
When someone performs a large search using some particular special characters where there should be results, the outcome is a big CPU spin for swish-e, a timeout in my apache error log and "service unavailable" as the front-end result. Too many of these searches at the same time (which occurs when someone keeps retrying a search) creates a possible DOS situation because of the CPU usage. I'm using a marginally modified version of swish.cgi 1.33 and swish-e-2.4.1.

As an example real query URL that leads to the problem:
?query=The+President%27s+Daughter+by+Jack+Higgins&submit=Search%21&sort=swishtitle

Which translates to:
The President's Daughter by Jack Higgins
In the search box on the form.

Does the special character cause some sort of much larger looping to occur? The index in use is fairly large, with a specification to search 17 different indexes with a total size of 4.5 GBs.

How can I fix this type of thing, or at least limit it more on the front-end to avoid the massive cpu spin-up?

Thanks,

Thomas