swish-e can't create temporary file

From: Mark A. Malloy <markm(at)not-real.chaos.press.jhu.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 16:03:41 GMT
I'm having some problems getting SWISH-E to run using the '-e' flag
under Solaris 8 on a SunBlade 100 (Sparc).  I've been successfully using
it for some time now without that particular flag and have been able to
implement indexes with and without the '-e' flag just fine under FreeBSD
as well, so I'm fairly familiar with a lot of the options and
configurations and I think I've narrowed down my problem to be O/S
related but I would appreciate if anybody else has some advice.

At first, using the '-e' flag would give me the 'too many open files'
error but I ran 'ulimit -n 1000' to raise the limit imposed by bash and
it seemed to be the solution.

Next, the index run would die with this error

-----
err: Couldn't create the temporary file '.swtmplocXXXXXX' file
descriptor: No such file or directory
-----

The XXXXXX changes for each run but two things seem consistent: 1) 252
swtmploc* files are created before the failure, and 2) the file that
causes the error has been created and is empty.

Is this a problem with my limits in Solaris or is this something that I
need to resolve within SWISH-E?  I've considered setting rlim_fd_max in
/etc/system but shouldn't the default of 1024 be enough?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Mark