Re: Compiling Test Failures

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 19:23:03 GMT
On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:28:31AM -0700, Bruce Pettyjohn wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Seems to cause a core dump in 2.4.2.
> Thoughts?  Ok in 2.4.0-pr4-2003-10-22.

Nothing other than rebuilding from scratch.  What platform are you
using?  Things I'd try are:

Make sure it's linking with the libraries you expect.  That's a bit
tricky because ../src/swish-e is a shell script (unless you build
--disable-shared).  The shell script runs the binary but sets up
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use the libraries in the build location not in the
system location where libraries will be installed with "make install".

But you can do this:

moseley@bumby:~/swish-e/tests$ strace -e trace=open ../src/swish-e  2>&1 | grep libswish-e
open("/home/moseley/swish-e/src/.libs/libswish-e.so.2", O_RDONLY) = 3

which shows that indeed it's using the libswish-e in the build
directory.  That's important because if you are linking with a
libswish-e that's from a different version you will likely see a
segfault.

The other obvious thing to do is just run swish-e with gdb and do a
backtrace.  You can't run gdb on src/swish-e because it's a shell
script, and you can't run it directly on src/.libs/swish-e because the
shell script needs to set things up.

If you have libtool installed you can do:

  $ libtool gdb ../src/swish-e

but if you don't then the best way would probably be to start fresh:

  $ cd
  $ cd swish-e
  $ make distclean
  $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/swish-test --disable-shared && make install

and then run gdb on $HOME/swish-test/bin/swish-e

I know that all seems like a lot of work, but that's all I can offer
without being able to generate the problem locally.