Re: swish.cgi tweaks?

From: Greg Fenton <greg_fenton(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 03:50:18 GMT
--- Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
> Does IE still ignore content-types and look at file extensions?  I
> assume so because I still find a lot of sites with broken content
> types.

To my knowledge, IE never looked at file extensions.  It did however
ignore the plain/text content-type if it determined that the data was
in fact some other kind (image, HTML, etc...)

>From what I understand, this was actually a "feature" of some later
Mosaic builds because so many webservers in Ye On Days Of Ol' were
misconfigured and "plain/text" was the default content type for file
extensions NCSA servers didn't know.

At least, that is how I interpreted the stupid behaviours way back
then...

After my exhaustive testing over the past 12.5 seconds, it appears that
IE does indeed still exhibit this behaviour.  [We are in the 21st
Century, right?]

greg_fenton.

=====
Greg Fenton