Re: swish.cgi tweaks?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 17:07:54 GMT
On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 05:55:39AM -0700, Brent Eades wrote:
> 1. Using '+' and '-' as Boolean operators. I'd like to allow users to
> use 'Google-style' queries, up to a point anyway -- e.g., monetary
> -policy, rather than monetary NOT policy, etc.

I'd really like to get that into the core swish-e query parser.

Anyone new on the list that has experience writing parsers?

> 2. Denoting file types in results page. I want to denote, via an icon
> or whatever, that a given document in the list of results is a format
> other than HTML -- PDF, e.g.

You can do this a number of ways.  One would be to use ExtractPath when
indexing to extract out the file's extension and then use that property
to pull in the image in the display template.

If spidering, then could add a meta tag to the content that indicates the content type
returned from the webserver.  More work, but you might need to do that
if you can't trust the file extension to indicate the type.

Does IE still ignore content-types and look at file extensions?  I
assume so because I still find a lot of sites with broken content types.