Re: Swish.cgi location?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 18:26:30 GMT
On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:04:35AM -0700, Phil Matt wrote:
> I have got Swish-E running smoothly - thanks again to all on the list.
>
> I have a question regarding the location of the swish.cgi file itself.
>
> I initially placed the file in the /www/cgi-bin directory. This didn't work. By experimenting
> with the location of the swish.cgi file on the server, I found that it worked just fine from
> the /www/htdocs directory.
>
> There must be a configuration issue here, but I can't figure out what it is. I really need to
> put the file in the /cgi-bin directory for site maintenance reasons.

Read your web server's manual -- this is completely dependent on the web
server config.

For example, in apache, you can say that .cgi files are CGI script, or
you might say anything in /www/cgi-bin/ is a CGI script, regardless of
the file's extension.

Everyone does things differently.  I like to disable all CGI scripts and
enable them explicitly in the config (or in .htaccess if that's
allowed).

Or you can use mod_perl and the script doesn't even have to exist
anywhere in the web space -- it's a "virtual script"...

I will also often rename it to search.html or /search/index.html and
tell the web server to run that file as a CGI script.