RE: Error running swish-e as cron job

From: Greg Fenton <greg_fenton(at)>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 19:17:00 GMT
Jody wrote:
> Any ideas why this would run fine when I click on Run Now,
> but not when it's actually scheduled to run?

It is likely that your shell environment has settings that are not
available to your cron environment.  For example, you might have set
your PERL5LIB in your shell configuration (.bashrc, .bash_profile,
etc...) and those settings aren't getting picked up by the process
running in cron.

Creating a shell script that explicitly sets all PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and PERL5LIB settings is one way to go.  Another is to ensure that the
settings of your shell are made global (in /etc/profile or

If you are still having problems, try creating a new cronjob that
simply echoes the current environment to a temp file (or to STDOUT so
that it gets emailed to you):

  * * * * * * /usr/bin/env > /tmp/my_env.out

(This will print out the environment from cron's point of view to
/tmp/my_env.out every one minute)

Hope this helps,

Greg Fenton

Do you Yahoo!?