Re: Swish.cgi and Perl mods install

From: Phil Matt <philm(at)not-real.frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 21:48:41 GMT
On 12 Apr 2004 at 10:04, Bill Moseley wrote:

> Like I said, you just run the installation like the swish-e
> instructions explain.  But it boils down to two lines:
>
>    $ ./configure && make
>    # make install
>
> Or one line if you don't have root access:

I downloaded a fresh Swish-E distribution and loaded it on the server. Checked all of the
necessary permissions and reset where necessary.

I tried to run ./configure & make, and things started happening. The install process got
as far as the line:

before it locked up and refused to go any farther.

Being a suspicious person when it comes to these kinds of things, I Telneted back in
and ran it again - success! So now a the full Swish-E distribution is installed on the
server.

I will attack this thing in the morning - I am sure that I am headed in the right direction,
now - thanks to your helpful comments. I can't figure out why the ISP (not exactly a Mom
and Pop operation, believe me...) would offer Swish-E as the ONLY search engine
option for their VPS customers (the only one easily installable, anyhow...) and even tie
their support notes to the Swish-E website, but then NOT include all of the stuff in the
ordinary, downloadable Swish-E distribution files.

Cheers  (I guess!...) --- Phil Matt