Getting "cannot open index file: Permission denied" error with swish-e on EL3.0

From: Vishwa Nath <vishwa_grama(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 02:18:13 GMT
The search engine was working fine on AS 2.1 linux; I migrated to EL 3.0;
I have recompiled swish-e and installed it.

Local search and indexing works fine.
But when I search via a browser, I get the following error.
"Could not open the index file: Permission denied".

I have given 'rw' access to everyone and I still get this error.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Vishwa