Re: Incremental Mode

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 13:14:34 GMT
On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 07:01:06AM -0800, Ander wrote:
> I've been using incremental indexing mode, and I didn't had any problem. It
> works fine on my machines.
>
> It bases on files modification date for local files, but I'm not sure it recognises
> modified "remote" files (web files).

Not that's not exactly correct.

-u only adds files to an existing index.  I suspect if you did:

  swish-e -i foo.html     # creates new index
  swish-e -u -i foo.html  # add foo.html to existing index

that foo.html would be in the index twice.

To use incremental indexing you have to build swish-e differently (with
--enable-incremental option).  This uses a different index format (Btree
instead of a hash-based index) and is not compatible with other (non
Btree) indexes.

There's currently no way to update an index (i.e. say if an existing
file is updated).  This type of incremental indexing might be useful for
something like a mailing list where the index just gets added to (old
messages don't changed).

You can use other methods (like -D) to only pass to swish-e the new
files to be added to an existing index.