Re: non ISO-8859-1 headers

From: Tim Freedom <tim_freedom(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 19:51:44 GMT
--- Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:11:19PM -0800, Tim Freedom wrote:
> > My bad, I totally overlooked that - apologies.  So is there a
> > means to pass the string via the user defined/modified files
> > (search.tt, conf files, etc) without having to touch the actual
> > template ?  My fear is that I'll forget to do this again next
> > time I upgrade or install a newer/different version plus its best
> > not to touch the application's authentic/source files if possible.
>
> No there's not config for that.  For one thing Swish-e indexes only
> 8859-1 (when using libxml2 parser) so I didn't see any reason for
> providing a config option for that.  If you don't want to hack the
> source read the instructions in swish.cgi on how to copy the template
> module to a new one, then edit and use that one instead.

This is not really indexing related - this is more related to being
able to display multiply encoded files as part of your results.  For
instance, I have lots of files that have both English and Arabic in
them (UTF-8), currently I can only index the english parts (again,
I'm willing to help with adding UTF-8 abilities :-), yet when I display
the output it would be nice to default to UTF-8 to see both texts.

> I think the template modules have access to the swish.cgi config hash,
> so you may be able to patch the template modules to look for a content
> type in the config and use that.  I don't expect many people to use that
> feature, but if you send a patch I'll try and remember to include it in
> the next release.

Sure.  Anything to help inch UTF-8 forward ;-)  Attached is a rather
simple patch that would allow a person to include the following line
in his/her "swish.cgi.conf" file.

     http_header     => { -charset => "UTF-8" },

Regards,

 .tf.