Re: UTF-8 support ?

From: Tim Freedom <tim_freedom(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 04:47:34 GMT
--- Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:54:24AM -0800, Tim Freedom wrote:
> > --- Bill Moseley wrote:
> > > Not likely.  It would probably be easier to do a complete rewrite
> > > than to add UTF-8 support.  A lot of the code expects characters
> > > to be single bytes.
> >
> > Is there anyway to change that - I'd be willing to help out (as I'm
> > sure others would as well) since this is a great benefit adder to
> > the entire non-ASCII community.  Most (if not all) applications
> > now support UTF-8 and it would be rather shameful to have to dump
> > swish-e for something else on this account.
>
> It's just time, Tim.  We are all busy doing other things right now.

Sure that is VERY understandable, I was merely trying to point out
that it would be great if it were to be considered for near-future
releases (I by all means am not egging anyone to stay up nights,
simply trying to convey a sense of need and a passion to see this
feature included at some point).  Having it listed in the wishlist
seems like a nice friendly reminder of that need.

As noted, I'd be more than happy to help out on that front.

Regards,

 .tf.