Re: XML attributes in XML element content

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 16:07:54 GMT
On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 07:29:11PM -0800, Dave Moreau wrote:
> I would appreciate more control over how XML attributes are handled for XML
> files. Currently, XML attributes get inserted into the containing tag. if we
> have the following XML:
>
> <tag att="blah">content</tag>
>
> with both TAG and ATT defined as metanames and propertynames, returning the
> property TAG returns "blah content".

That depends on your config file.

<tag> (meta [tag])
    <tag.blah> (undefined meta name - no action)
    content
</tag> (meta)

But I agree if you wanted to parse everything then it's hard to get just
the content in a property -- that's due to the way swish-e nests the
content (it makes some sense for MetaNames but less for Properties).

> I would like to be able to specify how swish-e treats attributes
> that are defined. As of now, we can specify default behavior for
> undefined attributes and elements, but I would like to be able to
> specify such options for defined attributes.

Can you describe a way to do it? My problem is that XML is too general
of a way to describe data -- so it's really hard to have general
purpose configuration options that works for all cases.  I just think
it's easier to write a small script to parse the data in a way that
makes sense to you and then feed that to swish.

The current options for parsing XML are very limited.