Re: Probs with xml-marc format

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 18:23:54 GMT
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:53:15AM -0800, Thoreau Lovell wrote:

> What I meant when I said swish-e had trouble with the
> xml-marc format is that it would recognize <datafield> and <subfield> as
> elements, but not the xml-marc identifiers such as "022," "245,"210", which
> are ISSN, Title, Alt Title. The problem is that these are <datafield> /
> <subfield> values, which swish-e doesn't seem to be able to distinguish.

Swish will just look at them as tags.  The attribute values can be
indexed as well with XMLClassAttributes -- or should be able to.  I just
did a quick check and it seems like that feature might be broken.
Still, XML is too general of a way to represent data for swish-e to
understand.

> Do you think using MetaNames and UndefinedMetaNames will solve this
> problem once each journal is in an separate file?

Yes.  You just format the data as you like.

> In any case it looks like I'm about to get a quick introduction to xml
> transformations!

Maybe someone here can put together a small perl script for you.  What
kind of operating environment do you have?  I.e. what OS and is it
up-to-date and include Perl?