Re: [Ignor Postmaster] Re: Synonyms (again)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 19:34:37 GMT
On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 10:07:07AM -0800, Greg Fenton wrote:

> --- Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
> >
> > I think swish.cgi does this when you do the special "all" metaname
> > search.
> >

> I don't follow.  Could you explain how "all" would help with synonyms?

Bad example, sorry.  The "all" search takes a query and converts it into
a multiple "OR" query, like you suggested.

I think it's more flexible implemented outside of swish.  Still, one of
the "fuzzy" modules, DoubleMetaphone does something like this.
DoubleMetaphone sometimes generates two codes for a single word.  So
swish-e indexes those both with the same position number.  Then when
searching Swish-e takes the two codes and creates an "OR" search.

The problem with that is with the current state of the query parser that
fails when used inside of a phrase.  (See SWISH-BUGS)