Re: compiling on IRIX 6.5, Solaris 2.8, Linux 2.4.20

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 02:58:08 GMT
Thanks for the report, Peter.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 04:57:29PM -0800, Peter Karman wrote:

> IRIX 6.5
> ===========
> This was the trickiest, since IRIX uses some non-standard env variables.
> make = GNU make 3.79.1
> cc = GNU GCC 3.2.1
> The same as above except:
> setenv LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH /path/to/gcc/lib:/path/to/swish-e/2.4.1/lib
> instead of
> setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /path/to/gcc/lib:/path/to/swish-e/2.4.1/lib
> and use 'irix' instead of 'sunos' in paths.

Does IRIX have LD_RUN_PATH?  Be nice to store the path in the executable
instead of having to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH at runtime.

Another option is using -R and -L together.  Not sure if that would work
on IRIX.

> Comments
> One thing I discovered is the "-L/path/to/zlib -lz" was required in
> addition to the "-L/path/to/swishe/lib -lswish-e" for the perl module
> configuration. Otherwise, I got errors about the Perl DynamicLoader
> failing to recognize the compress2 symbol. This was not noted in the
> perl/README, but the README did get me on the right track with the 'no
> root access' section.

Good point.  As you point out, it's hard to test this stuff when running
Linux as it just seems to work.

Bill Moseley