Documentation on Swish-E working with Apache and SSL

From: Kaplan, Andrew H. <AHKAPLAN(at)not-real.PARTNERS.ORG>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 17:34:28 GMT
In case the first e-mail did not go through...

I came across the situation discussed below when setting up Swish-E on an
Apache 1.3.29 server running mod_ssl. The solution has been outlined. I was
wondering
if anyone had any comments or suggestions on what was done. If this is
off-topic, my
apologies. I simply thought this might be of use to others.

When the swish.conf file is used as a configuration mechanism for the Swish
program, it
typically contains a ReplaceRules line that references the hostname or ip
address of the host
server. Figure One shows a sample swish.conf file with the line in question
highlighted.

Figure One:

IndexDir /usr/local/apache/htdoc
StoreDescription HTML * <body> 200000
MetaNames swishdocpath swishtitle
ReplaceRules replace "/usr/local/apache/htdoc/"
"http:/example.com/documents/"

There are occasions when an administrator will configure the webserver, as a
matter of security,
to have all connections default to the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) port 443.
When this is done,
the above configuration would cause the files to become inaccessible. A
query of the files would
result in a list being displayed on-screen, but a subsequent request to pull
up the files would fail.

The solution to this problem is to modify the swish.conf file to reflect the
secure connection to the
webserver, rerun the indexing, and, if necessary, restart the server. Figure
Two shows the above
file modified as such.

Figure Two:

"https:/example.com/documents/"